Madison Valley is a small, tree-lined neighborhood just east of downtown Seattle. While it might not be a neighborhood you’ve heard of before, you’ll be eager to visit again.
You’ll quickly fall in love with its central location, European flavor, and varied shops, restaurants, and cafes. This primarily residential neighborhood is ideal for a family-friendly vacation. With a mix of urban amenities and natural escapes, you’ll have the best of both worlds.
The heart of the neighborhood is at Martin Luther King Jr Way and Madison Street. Where these two streets intersect is the center of the neighborhood, with the rest of it spreading out from there. From coffee shops to great restaurants and beautiful homes, everything you need is within walking distance in Madison Valley. This makes it the perfect location for your Seattle getaway.
History of Madison Valley
Long ago, this area was known as ideal for hunting, gathering, and fishing for the Duwamish Indians and early settlers. You’ll see much has changed for this charming neighborhood. While overlooked in much of Seattle’s early establishment, the area eventually began to develop with the opening of the Arboretum and many public schools for the children of workers.
In the early 1950s and 1960s the neighborhood’s residents were primarily African American. Now, the neighborhood is a diverse mix of races and nationalities. Here you’ll be able to see the diversity in the neighborhood’s unique blend of coffee shops, restaurants, and retail stores.
Top Things to Do in Madison Valley
When enjoying a getaway to Seattle and renting a house in Madison Valley, you’ll have so many great things to do at your fingertips. It’s easy to enjoy your entire visit to Seattle in Madison Valley alone. Although, there are a few things on this list in nearby areas of the city if you’re interested in getting out and exploring more.
Most places on this list are within walking distance to your house rental, while others are best visited by public transportation or via car.
From restaurants to parks, here are the top things for you to do while in Madison Valley:
- The Washington Park Arboretum: The perfect place to spend an afternoon walking around the unique assortment of plants not found anywhere else. Enjoy a stroll through the greens up to Lake Washington.
- Essential Baking Company: Grab a quick bite to eat and a coffee at this indoor/outdoor bakery. If you enjoy fresh-baked bread, there are plenty of other places to try in Madison Valley, often referred to as “Little France.”
- Cafe Flora: If you’d like something a bit heartier than pastries, head to one of Seattle’s top-rated brunch spots. This creative vegetarian restaurant will leave you craving more!
- The Harvest Vine: For a great selection of wine and tapas, this is the perfect spot to end your day of exploring Seattle before you head back to your cozy vacation home.
- Capitol Hill: Just the next neighborhood over, head to this vibrant and diverse neighborhood, for unique shops and a fun nightlife scene.
- Downtown Seattle: Madison Valley is around 2 miles from Downtown Seattle, giving you easy access to all of Seattle’s hotspots like Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, the Seattle Art Museum, the Seattle Center, and Puget Sound.
- West Seattle: For a day well-spent in nature, in addition to visiting the nearby Arboretum, spend a day at the Alki Beach. It’s a great location for relaxation, people watching, and a walk in the sand.
- Visit Nearby Neighborhoods: Other great nearby neighborhoods to check out while in Seattle are Madison Park, Madrona, Queen Anne, and Belltown.
Our Seattle Vacation Homes
There are plenty of perks of booking a rental home directly for your next vacation. You’re not only saving on third party fees from Airbnb or Vrbo, but you’re getting the personal touch of dealing with the property managers directly. As Madison Valley residents ourselves, we know this neighborhood well.
We’re able to help you with all of your Seattle vacation needs. We can point you in the right direction for anything from nearby grocery stores to fun, unique things to do in the area, based on your interests. From the moment you check-in, you can rest assured you’re in good hands while in Seattle.
All of our properties come equipped with free wifi, fresh linens, and a washer/dryer. Some properties have window air conditioning units and/or gas fireplaces.
Get ready for a great vacation to Seattle by staying in Madison Valley.