North of downtown Seattle and just across the canal from Queen Anne is the trendy hidden gem of Fremont. Self proclaimed the “Center of the Universe,” this Seattle neighborhood really does have it all, from bohemian shops, street art, and great restaurants to epic views of the Seattle skyline.
Although action-packed with plenty to see and do, Fremont is small enough to explore easily by foot, making it a great location for your trip to the Emerald City. Most everything you’d need while in town is in walking distance, with anything else just a short drive away.
By staying at a house rental in Fremont, you’ll be sure to enjoy all of the quirks that make Seattle the fun, unique city that it is.
History of Fremont
Fremont, Washington was one of the first areas of Seattle to establish its own identity outside of the city. Popular among first settlers to the area, Fremont was first developed as a suburb of Seattle, until it was annexed to the city and deemed a Seattle neighborhood in the late 1800s.
Seen as an advantageous location for water transportation and industries, like lumber mills, it was a booming area from the start. The popularity of the area only increased with the introduction of a street car that went directly from Fremont to Seattle in the late 1800s.
The nickname for Fremont as the “Center of the Universe” actually was established around this time because you had to go here to get anywhere else. Along with the street cars, Fremont was also accessible by boat and railroad, giving you a diverse means of transportation from the town.
Things to Do in Fremont
Fremont is the ideal spot for a short term getaway if you enjoy shopping at places you won’t find anywhere else, eating at restaurants that serve diverse cuisines, and sightseeing in an area known for its unique street art.
Some of our favorite things to do in Fremont are:
- Fremont Troll: Check out this fun, climbable art installation under the Aurora Bridge. This is just one of many landmarks throughout the neighborhood.
- Fremont Sunday Market: All year round you can visit the local farmer’s market to pick up some fresh produce to stock your house rental or you can munch on already prepared goods from local restaurants and small businesses.
- N 36th Ave: Known as the ‘main street’ of Fremont, stroll down this street and its intersections for the best shops, restaurants, and bars in the area.
- Downtown Seattle: Fremont is a quick drive from Downtown Seattle, giving you easy access to all of Seattle’s hotspots like Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, the Space Needle, the Seattle Art Museum, the Seattle Center, and Puget Sound.
- Lake Washington: For some time spent in nature, head over to Lake Washington and stroll through the The Washington Park Arboretum for unique plants that you’ve likely not seen elsewhere. For a closer lake, head to Lake Union instead.
- Visit Nearby Neighborhoods: Other great nearby neighborhoods to check out while in Seattle are Capitol Hill, Wallingford, Queen Anne, Ballard, Phinney Ridge, and Belltown.
Our Seattle Vacation Homes
By booking a rental home directly for your next vacation, you’re not only saving on third party fees from Airbnb or Vrbo, but you’re getting the personal touch of dealing with the property managers directly.
We’re able to help you with all of your Seattle vacation needs and can point you in the right direction for anything from nearby grocery stores to fun, unique things to do in the area, based on your interests. From the moment you check-in, you can rest assured you’re in good hands while in Seattle.
All of our properties come equipped with free wifi, fresh linens, and a washer/dryer. Some properties have window air conditioning units and/or gas fireplaces.
Get ready for a quirky vacation to Seattle by staying in Fremont.