Capitol Hill is regularly regarded as Seattle’s coolest neighborhood. If you’re looking for a unique getaway, Capitol Hill is the neighborhood for you. You surely won’t have trouble entertaining yourself here. You may just wish you had more time to see all Capitol Hill can offer!
Centrally located, you’ll still have access to all of Seattle’s hotspots within walking distance. By staying within Capitol Hill, you’ll be surrounded by trendy eateries, thrift shops, and quirky coffee shops. This neighborhood is known as Seattle’s LGBTQ+ hub and home to the city’s best nightlife scene.
Capitol Hill Vacation Rentals are ideal for a fun time spent in the city. While not the neighborhood you want to go to if you’re looking for a quiet location in a primarily residential area, this is the place to go if you want plenty to do within walking distance. This is the perfect spot if you’re traveling with friends or your partner.
History of Capitol Hill
Much like the rest of Seattle, Capitol Hill was dense forest and prime hunting ground when first settled in the mid-1800s. After loggers cleared the land by the 1900s, Capitol Hill was initially a prime spot for commercial businesses. It was once the hub of Catholicism in the area, dubbed “Catholic Hill” for a short period.
The Great Depression ran many of these companies out of business and left Capitol Hill relatively forgotten. Years later, Capitol Hill saw its revival as artists, ex-hippies, and activists took advantage of the low rent and moved in. Soon after, the LGBTQ+ community was formed in the area. Since the mid-1980s, Gay Pride has been a staple of Broadway.
In the last decade, the city’s tech boom has changed Capitol Hill yet again. Instead of pushing out their old tenants, the area has become more diverse with artists and techies sitting side by side in stools at their favorite neighborhood dive bar.
Things to Do in Capitol Hill
One of the best things to do in the area is to simply walk it. By walking around the neighborhood and truly immersing yourself into it, you’ll find plenty to do. There are a number of great bars, restaurants, cafes, and shops to pop into. You’ll also get to enjoy the neighborhood’s many murals and street art up close and personal.
Here are a few of our favorite things to do in Capitol Hill and surrounding neighborhoods:
- Cafe Pettirosso: For a delicious and upbeat brunch, start your day at this Capitol Hill hotspot.
- Station 7: For some souvenirs for yourself or others, you’ll love this quirky shop located inside of an old fire station.
- Capitol Thrill: Another great spot for gifts or to pick up something for yourself, Capitol Thrill sells good from queer and BIPOC artists.
- Garage Billiards: For a fun way to end your day in the Emerald City, head here for bowling, pool, or to sit back and relax with a beer and burger.
- Volunteer Park: Get great views of the Olympic Mountains and the Space Needle from this surprisingly large park.
- Downtown Seattle: Capitol Hill is less than 2 miles from Downtown Seattle, giving you easy access to all of Seattle’s hotspots like Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, the Space Needle, the Seattle Art Museum, the Seattle Center, and Puget Sound.
- West Seattle: For a day well-spent in nature, in addition to visiting the nearby Arboretum, spend a day at the Alki Beach. It’s a great location for relaxation, people watching, and a walk in the sand.
- Lake Washington: Another option for some fresh air,, head over to Lake Washington and stroll through the The Washington Park Arboretum for unique plants that you’ve likely not seen elsewhere.
- Visit Nearby Neighborhoods: Other great nearby neighborhoods to check out while in Seattle are Madison Valley, Ballard, Fremont, Queen Anne, South Lake Union, and Belltown.
Our Seattle Vacation Homes
There are so many perks of booking a house rental directly for your next vacation. You’re not only saving on third party fees from Airbnb or Vrbo, but you’re getting the personal touch of dealing with the property managers directly. Plus, here at Seattle Vacation Home, we’re locals. We know the ins and outs of the city so you’ll be in great hands.
We’re able to help you with all of your Washington State vacation needs and can point you in the right direction for anything. From nearby grocery stores to fun, unique things to do in the area, based on your interests, we’ll have a recommendation or two. From the moment you check-in, you can rest assured you’re in good hands while in Seattle.
All of our properties come equipped with free wifi, fresh linens, and a washer/dryer. Some properties have window air conditioning units and/or gas fireplaces.
Get ready for your best vacation to Seattle yet by staying in Capitol Hill.